Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cooking With Your Crockpot



Cooking a meal for your family using your crockpot not only saves energy, it also saves money. How many times have you had to pick dinner up on your way home because you ran late? Taking a few minutes in the morning to get your crock pot going will save you from those last minute dinner runs.

Here is a wonderful dinner that I just cooked up for my family last night. The prep time was less than 10 minutes and filled up my family of 5 easily.

Crock Pot Ham and Potatoes

Thinly slice 6 or 7 medium russet potatoes, leave the skins on. (Red or Yukon would be wonderful too)
1/2 sweet onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic (diced)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 cups diced ham
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup, low fat version
1 cup water

Place the sliced potatoes in the bottom of the crock pot. 
Mix the onions, cheese, garlic and ham and place on top of the potatoes.
Stir cream of mushroom soup and water and pour over the top of your mixture.

Put the lid on and turn it on low heat for 6-7 hours. Serve with a big green salad or steamed asparagus.


5 comments:

  1. We are gluten free at our house. Do you have an alternative for the mushroom soup? What could we use in place of that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this sounds really good for cold weather. I think I will make this for my family tomorrow night. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi, It is my understanding that Health Valley produces an organic gluten free cream of mushroom soup. They do produce items that contain gluten in their facility but sterilize before and after all productions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't used my crockpot for so long I almost forgot I had one. This recipe has encouraged me to get it out of storage. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using my crockpot and having it done when I need it. Sometimes dinner times can be so crazy especially when we all have different schedules. This will be a great recipe to add to my "usuals".

    ReplyDelete