Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Environmentally Friendly Deer Repellent

While looking for a better way to keep those pesky, cute deer out of my garden I stumbled across this easy environmentally safe way to keep those critters from entering my garden.
Some have suggested keeping rotten eggs around, but really the thought of that makes me want to leave my garden alone too. I think I have come across a simple solution. Deer do not like the smell of deodorant soap. You can collect scraps of soap, however fresh soap is recommended. One bar of soap can protect up to 9 square feet. Do not use soaps with floral scents.

Here is how it's done.

Several scraps of deodorant bath soap or one fresh bar per 9 square feet.
Long nail, drill or old socks.
String

Remove soap from the wrapper and make a hole at one end of the bar with a nail or drill. Run some string through the hole. If your using soap scraps drop them into an old sock and tie the open end shut.

Tie soap(or soap filled sock) to the branch of a shrub or tree. If your bush can not hold the weight of the soap, you can put a stake into the garden bed. Replace with a fresh bar after these bars have been diminished by rain or watering.

No comments:

Post a Comment